Surgery at Waterbury HEALTH
At Waterbury HEALTH, we offer expert surgical services for our patients that span a wide range of conditions and needs. Our mission is to provide the highest quality, personalized surgical care delivered in a supportive environment.
Our multidisciplinary team of board-certified surgeons, nurses, technicians, and other medical professionals have decades of experience performing both routine and complex operations. We aim to achieve the most successful patient outcomes with cutting-edge surgical procedures, including laparoscopic and other minimally invasive methods. Waterbury HEALTH surgeons also offers specialized robotic surgery, which allows our surgeons to perform certain procedures with added precision, flexibility, and control. Waterbury Hospital’s Center for Surgical Innovation is a comprehensive, multidisciplinary center with highly trained surgeons and state-of-the-art technology. Our expert surgeons and surgical teams apply innovative techniques in the field of minimally invasive surgery (MIS) in many specialty areas.
All patients receive a comprehensive pre-surgical assessment by our team to ensure their health and safety before any operation. This important step is used to identify any relevant parts of their medical history that would determine whether the surgical procedure is a good fit. We also prioritize compassionate communication throughout the entire process to keep patients and loved ones informed.
Robotic surgery, also known as robot-assisted surgery, leverages the latest in medical technology to help create better outcomes for patients. Patients who undergo robotic surgery can expect fewer complications, less pain and blood loss, a quicker recovery, and less noticeable scarring. Specialized Surgery at Waterbury HEALTH includes:
- General Surgery
- Robotic Surgery
- Surgical Oncology
- Colorectal Surgery
- Trauma and Surgical Critical Care
- Breast Surgery
- Vascular Surgery
- Cardiac Surgery
- Orthopedic Surgery
- Gynecologic Surgery
- Plastic Surgery: Our board certified surgeon provides both reconstructive and cosmetic operations for a wide variety of problems. Breast reconstruction is offered to all patients who require mastectomies.
- Thoracic (chest) Surgery: Our board certified thoracic surgeons treat both benign and malignant diseases of the esophagus and lungs.
- Ear, Nose, and Throat (ENT): Our surgeons take care of the spectrum of ear, nose and throat problems including sinus and thyroid diseases with most operations done in an outpatient setting.
- Neurosurgery: Highly skilled surgeons perform advanced brain and spinal surgery using the most modern equipment at Waterbury Hospital.
- Podiatric Surgery: Our Podiatric surgeons care for all diseases of the foot and ankle.
Waterbury HEALTH offers inpatient surgery and same-day surgery. Same day surgery is available at Waterbury Hospital and Waterbury Surgery Center.
The Department of Surgery at Waterbury HEALTH is led by Dr. Scott H. Kurtzman, a board-certified and fellowship-trained surgical oncologist who specializes in breast, soft tissue sarcomas, and skin melanomas. He holds an academic appointment as Professor of Surgery at the Quinnipiac University Frank H Netter School of Medicine and at the University of Connecticut School of Medicine. Dr. Kurtzman also serves as Chair of the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers of the American College of Surgeons.
Scott Kurtzman, MD, FACS
Chair, Department of Surgery
Program Director, Waterbury Hospital General Surgery Residency
Professor of Surgery, and Designated Institutional Official, Quinnipiac University Frank H Netter Scholl of Medicine
Hospital Academic Office
Alliance Medical Group
1625 Straits Turnpike, Suite 200
Middlebury, CT 06762
Dr. Kurtzman’s Hours
Wednesday 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
Friday 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.